A few years ago we planted a church in South America. New Life then sponsored over 100 children through Compassion International. Now we are heading down to serve the church and the community to further show them Christ’s love and try to make a tangible difference in their lives. We’ll be conducting some sort of Vacation Bible School type program with the kids as well as serve the community in a way to help connect residents to the new church.
What is the agenda? What will we do?
The itinerary will not be fully developed until the final weeks before the trip and often change even while we are in Ecuador. The following is a general plan. Specifics will change:
- Day 1: Depart IAD and travel to Guayaquil Ecuador, Dinner, Orientation briefing
- Day 2: Travel to Manta, Dinner w/Church and project staff
One goal of the trip is to meet with and encourage the staff who serve the children every week. This time allows us to get to know them.
- Day 3: Worship at the church plant, community outreach project
After joining the church for morning worship and helping in children’s ministry, we will host a community outreach event.
- Day 4: Learn about Compassion’s programs for children, visit homes, Activities with the kids
A favorite time for many people is visiting the homes of children in the projects.
- Day 5: More home visits and Activities with the kids
Another favorite is time playing games with and teaching the kids lessons about Jesus.
- Day 6: Learn about Compassion’s programs for youth
Compassion children can stay with the program until they are 21. We will learn all about how children are literally pulled out of poverty.
- Day 7: “Fun Day” with sponsored kids
We bring the kids we sponsor to our hotel to play games and swim in the pool. Many, if not most, of the kids have never been to a pool or seen the ocean.
- Day 8: Relationship day with project staff, Travel to Guayaquil, Shopping
We wrap the week up saying goodbye to the staff and encouraging them in the good work they are doing.
- Day 9: Travel home.
How much will the trip cost?
The trip will cost roughly $2,700 per person. Final cost is not available until the total number of people traveling is finalized.
This price includes all of the following:
- All flights and bus trips
- Food and Water
This cost does not include:
- Meals while in transit (e.g. while on the planes or during layovers)
- Souvenir Shopping
- Checked bag fees
How old do I need to be?
- Minimum age to travel is 13. Ages 13-15 yrs. old must travel with a parent, ratio 1:1
- 16-17 yrs. old must travel in a 5:1 ratio minor to guardian
- 18 yrs. old is considered an adult
- Generally for the children we will be visiting and serving
- For the children and their parents to be open to hear about Christ
- Continued recovery from the earthquake damage
- Logistics, travel & health
- Team unity
Other Ways to Support Us:
Eat at Glory Days
When you dine at any Glory Days Grill location, Glory Days Grill will contribute 10% of the total food and beverages purchased to a New Life Christian Church mission trip. Bring your friends, family and neighbors! Simply ask your server for the itemized copy of your guest check (not the charge card receipt), and drop it in the offering bag. Please write “Ecuador Trip” and, if applicable, the name of the specific person you are supporting on the receipt and drop it in the offering at church or give it to anyone who is going on the trip. Thanks!
Remember to collect the receipts from friends or family members that may dine there too!