Uncertain times can leave us anxious, fearful, and overwhelmed. It’s easy to get caught up in worrying about the future. Yet. as followers of Christ, we can anchor our hearts in God’s peace – even when things feel shaky. The Bible gives us guidance on finding security in Him alone.
How Does God Guide Us?
There are a few ways that we see how God can guide us:
- The prophet Isaiah described a steadfast mindset: “You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you” – Isaiah 26:3. During tough and turbulent times, fixing our eyes and thoughts on God provides calm assurance in His sovereignty.
- In addition, we can also ask God directly for peace. Paul instructs us, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” – Philippians 4:6-7.
- Through prayer, reading the Bible, and praise, we can experience supernatural peace as the Spirit renews our minds. As King David wrote, “I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears” – Psalm 34:4.
- In the gospel of John, Jesus comforts His disciples on the eve of His crucifixion, saying “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid” – John 14:27. However chaotic things get, the Lord promises an abiding inner peace.
- Finally, resting in God’s sovereignty calms our hearts when the world seems out of control. “The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still,” – Exodus 14:14. Moses told the Israelites before crossing the Red Sea. Through faith, we can ride out any storm in the shelter of His wings.
No matter what storms, trials, or grief you are facing today, you can experience God’s perfect peace by seeking Him first. Set your mind on things above. Bring your requests to the Lord, watch over your heart, and trust in His faithful care. Remember, “you will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you” – Isaiah 26:3